It may sound rather odd, loving yourself. It may sound selfish, big headed. Shouldn’t we concentrate on other people?
However, what I have learnt over the years is that you cannot heal yourself or others if you don’t love yourself. Many people find this a difficult concept. But I can honestly say by going through a series of healing techniques and sessions I found it deeply rewarding. It helped me clear blockages and clear negative energy. So much so that it lifted me to a level where I began to love myself and love others even more.
Loving yourself is not about thinking you are the most important person alive. It is not about feeling arrogant or superior. It’s not about having no consideration of others. It is not about filling your life with material riches. I could go on.
Truly loving yourself comes from deep within, knowing without doubt that you are perfect as you are. Not easy? I bet I know your next thought? You may think you are too fat/thin, tall/short, loud/shy, old/young??
Loving yourself means knowing you are special and have a part to play in this world. At this level you even look forward to all the experiences ahead of you, good and bad.
Once we love ourselves at this level, we can truly love others as well, accepting in them qualities we may not like.
What are the benefits of loving yourself?
- You have great self-esteem
- You find it easy to love others and to accept people as they are
- You can accept setbacks to your own life and see them as part of a learning curve rather than a punishment.
- You do not rely on others for praise and encouragement because you know your self-worth
- You take responsibility for everything that happens to you.
- You take joy when others do well in their accomplishments without envy or resentment